How to use the interactive website
This webpage is the online version of Dr. Hilda Kalfayan-Panossian «WESTERN ARMENIAN HANDBOOK FOR NON-ARMENIAN SPEAKERS»
“The Guide” is in three languages (French , English, Armenian)
Consists of three books and two CD’s
-the book of the tales and translations
-the book of exercises and label dictionary
-book of literacy, alphabet, translations of sentences, labels and attachments
-two CD, recorded at Yerevan State Radio Station.
1-When clicking with the computer cursor on the “Alphabet” in Menu, it appears Armenian alphabet’s uppercase and lowercase letters on printed form, with their names, sequences, french and english sounds, and phonetic signs
2-The letter of the Armenian alphabet are pronounced by authors and singers Vigen Darbinian and Marten Yeorkants. Listen and learn the names, sequences and the pronunciation of the letters.
3-When moving the computer cursor on the uppercase letters it appears the handwriting uppercase and lowercases with bolded dots.
4-Following the example the student can click on Draw word. On the right corner will be a window, where the student can draw and paint the given word. This try can be repeated. Click the word Draw to close the window.
5-The vowel letters of the alphabet are : ա, ե , է, ը , ի, օ, ու.
(See the main terms and stages of literacy learning in the “Reading-Writing” section)
Learning speaking language with the use of the Tales
1. The presentation of the material and the stage of learning.
The main topic of this book are the various episodes of the Flood story, presented with dialogues.
А. Without the teacher, the students must open the Tales section, which consists of seven lessons, and seven speaking scenes. Each course has a couple of scenes. In each class scenes there is a one printed sentence which is called the “Key sentence”, it presents the main linguistic structure, with the help of which the principal linguistic tasks must be done. The same sentence is presented with the Yellow highlight on the language speaking scenes.
B. To see the lesson’s picture and to listen to the dialogues by clicking the triangle small arrow next to. To read the translations and to understand the descriptions in english or french, understand the meaning of each word and the linguistic structure. By clicking the “Dictionary” you can get the extra descriptions.
C. Grammatic-lexicon important parts have the number and “See more” opportunity next to them. Click the number. The list of grammatical rules will be opened, and there find more descriptions.
2.REPEATING AND REMEMBERING STAGE
By clicking the signs on the dialogues the student must listen to the example sentences and the songs in sequence several times.
For repeating the same by himself/herself the student must do the following
a. Click the word “Pronounce” located on the left lower corner of the webpage
b. Click the sign “Record” on the left corner of the new opened window and record with his/her voice
c. Click the upper right pause sign
d. Click on the "Play" button from the left-bottom corner and listen his/her voice
e. For closing the current record and starting a new sentence press the “x” sign on the right, and for closing the whole window press the sign “Pronounce” on the left lower corner.
The student can record himself/herself several times, improving and speeding up the pronunciation, until he/she can automatically pronounce it.
By repeating the sentences of each course, the student can memorize and smoothly pronounce it.
In one-day gymnasiums and clubs, all these repetitions will happen within a team. The teacher will check all lexical errors. There will be a theatrical stage for memorizing the language structures better. In particular, the school children will play the heroes of their lessons.
3. Constructing Exercises Stage
The most crucial stage is the language exercises. It is for strengthening the language structures. Go to “Reading-Writing” section and do all the exercises (listen and answer several times after pressing the buttons).
These exercises help to deviate from the ready-made sentences in the lesson. By changing the different parts of the preference, the student learns how to make new sentences, to express different meanings.
For example, change articles, the endings for cases, verb tenses, singularize plural or vice versa, make affirmative sentence negative or interrogative, add or remove adjectives in sentence, etc.
These exercises will teach the student to use linguistic structures in the right place to express their thinking or respond to the speaker.
In other words, this will teach to speak. So you have to do the exercises without getting bored until you can do it well.
C) Teaching written language through literacy
Written language teaching is divided into 14 courses, which in a pair will correspond to the 7 courses of oral language teaching. Example: 1ա//1բ, 2ա// 2բ.... 7ա// 7բ:
At the top left of these pairs of pages (1a, 2a,) are key sentences on the yellow background at the top of the page, the meaning of which is familiar to student from the teaching of oral speech. On the other pairs (1b, 2b,) are similarly given key sentences that teach additional elements and structures.
Therefore, the teaching of writing is richer and supports the teaching of oral speech.
To learn how to write letters and words, you need to do the following:
1) Look at the word windows of each Lesson, where the images of the course heroes and the corresponding word pictures as a symbol are described. For instance, Lesson 1a introduces father’s image, under which is written “Father” (with the capital F). The student should learn to pronounce the word completely, while learning grammar and sound of these six letters contained in this word picture. They can hear the pronunciation of the word by pressing the button.
2) Go to the “Labels-Appendixes” and find out the word “father” (with a small f). Each letter is written with a bolded dot. It helps to understand that the letters should be written starting from these dots.
3) Memorize the writing form of the word “father” with bolded dots.
For remembering it, you should close your eyes, imagine the word with bolded dots and six letters. Then open your eyes and check the word. Again close your eyes and try to write the word with forefinger(this is the first stage of writing). Try it several times for memorizing it better. Also, you should try to memorize the written form of 10-14 words that are highlighted with yellow color.
4) In the end of the website press “Draw” button. It will open a new window, where you can try to write(draw) the word with bolded dots via computer mouse.
5) Return to word windows for basic letter learning. Look at the four letter writing styles of(e. g. “a” or “e”). On the left side of the window you can see printed uppercase and printed lowercase, while on the right side you can see written uppercase and written lowercase.
Now let’s move to sound. For example, you can press letter “e”. Listen to the letter name and the sound (i), such as Ani, by using the inserted button. Also, you begin word with the letter “ո” with the sound “վօ”(ողջ), however “ո” sounds like “օ” when it is in the middle of the word(բոլոր). When we add “ւ” letter, it sounds like “ու”(ուշ).
Also watch, listen and comprehend 10-14 words' constructions, pronunciation and writing form that are highlighted with yellow color.
6) In this book, Western Armenian’s consonant sounds բ-փ-պ / գ-ք-կ / դ-թ-տ / չ-ջ-ճ / ձ-ց-ծ are taught in the same lesson, in the following way- The sounds which are difficult to distinguish only by hearing(բ-փ/գ-ք/դ-թ/չ-ջ/ձ-ց), are demonstrated with two sided windows, where the left side shows one of the letters( e. g. (ջ)), while the right side shows the other letter (չ): There is another window under this two sided window, which demonstrates the third consonant sound, the one which is distinguishable by hearing (Ճ): Through contradicting letters, school children will learn Western Armenian’s tch sound( written with the letters չ or ջ) and dj sound (written with the letter ճ). The school child will know that for learning the written form of the letters, he/she has to read a lot and do various exercises.
7) Check the text from the right side page, which is composed of symbolizing word-pictures and linguistic structures that the student has already learned and is able to use them in the oral speech.
Listen to the reading sample while clicking button next to each sentence. After several listenings, by clicking on the “Pronounce” button below left corner, the student will be able to pronounce it by himself and then listen to his recording (act just the same way as it is explained in teaching Oral Speech). Try to read the text fluently.
8) After this stage go down the wallpaper for the “Task” which contains a question to check student’s speaking and writing skills. The student must answer the question in Armenian clicking the button OK. Armenian labels will appear. In case of clicking on each word’s small blue frame, the given word’s zoomed written form will appear along with dots?
With the help of labels that appeared on the website, the student should compose the answer to the question, also using the prefixes and suffixes from the Appendice. Pay attention to the Syntax of the Armenian Language, which is the following: Subject-Object-Verb. The task will require to change the places of the labels providing the right sequence on the website with the help of computer’s mouse. Then click the right big blue button below. If the words are put in their right order, all the labels turn green and the student receives “Very good” for the patient work and success. You need to try to change the places of the labels for several times, until all of them turn green.
9) During this stage, the school child will already know how to write the words that are highlighted with yellow color. Apart from that they will also know how to write other words by using parts of the sentences from the “Labels for manipulations-1” and “Labels for manipulations-2”(Appendixes).
In “Lexicon” you can find a “Guide for Foreign Speakers,” where you can find the translations of all used words in English and French. There are alphabetically divided into four parts- Ա-Թ / Ժ-Ղ / Ճ-Ջ / Ռ-Ֆ :
Foreign speaker will have an opportunity to answer, read and write clear Armenian within 1000 words. Continually, they can develop their Armenian knowledge by following some courses for development and also by reading children’s literature and fiction.